Author Topic: [HOWTO] Put DSL modem/router into bridge mode  (Read 11653 times)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
[HOWTO] Put DSL modem/router into bridge mode
« on: August 04, 2009, 08:46:52 AM »
You may want to put the DSL modem/router into bridge mode if you use another router to handle the traffic. For instance, I have a gigabit router for the LAN, but I don't want to set up two set of firewall rules if I need to open any port (firewall on 2Wire routers are not as programmable). I've also heard anecdotes that this will make the connections drop less often; we'll see.

After you put the DSL modem/router into bridge mode, you need another device to authenticate with your ISP. This can be a computer or another router capable of something like PPPoE. Of course, you also need your username and password that was given to you by your ISP.

Two major steps:
1) Put DSL modem/router into bridge mode.
2) Set up your computer or another router to authenticate with ISP.

I have 2Wire 2701HG-B for AT&T/SBC Yahoo, so I followed these steps. Where it says homeportal, you can enter the modem/router's IP (eg 192.168.1.254) into a browser. Then do the following to put it into bridge mode:

Quote from: Bridging the 2wire and PPPoE (Disabling Router)
•Click on Configure Under Broadband link
•Select "Disable PVC Search"
•Set VPI to 0 and VCI to 35 (depends on service provider may be 8/35, 5/32, etc).
•Connection Type should say Direct IP
•Click Submit
•Click on Configure Services
•Uncheck Enable Routing
•Click Submit

If you are connecting to the ISP with another router, follow instructions in the manual or online wizard.

For instance, I got a TrendNet gigabit router. Its default IP address is 192.168.10.1. So enter that into the browser. In the left menu, go to Basic > Internet. Then it gives an option to setup via wizard or manually. Both methods are quite simple. Just enter your DSL information, like username and password. Your outgoing PPPoE IP address should be Dynamic. However, internal IP should be 192.168.1.x subnet. One, you can still configure the modem/router, and two, it's easier to remember your machines' IP addresses if they stay in the same subnet during the transition. This is configured in a different page than Internet settings.

You could also try their online emulator.

Anyway, my Internet settings on the TrendNet:
Go Basic -> Internet -> Manual Configure.
WAN Mode: PPPoE
Address Mode: Dynamic IP
Username: X (Ask your ISP for username and password)
Password: *
Verify Password: *
Service Name: (blank)
Reconnect Mode: Always on
Use these DNS Servers: (unchecked unless you use something like OpenDNS)
Click Advanced.
Use the default MTU: unchecked
MTU: 1432 (default is 1492) (try one that works)

Network settings
Go Basic -> Network settings
WAN Port Mode: Router Mode
Router IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Enable DNS Relay: check
Enable DHCP Server: check
DHCP Lease Time: 65535 (max)
Enable DHCP Reservation if you need port forwarding to specific machines (eg servers, RDP)

If you are connecting to the ISP with a computer (eg Windows XP), google it with keywords PPPoE DSL XP or Linux.

References:
Bridging the 2wire and PPPoE (Disabling Router)
TrendNet 633-GR emulator
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:59:23 AM by Den »
Humans can be gay.
Superman is superhuman.
Q.E.D. Superman can be supergay.